Pork Parmesan-Rosemary Waffle Sandwich
basil, tomato, mozzarella, parmesan
Paired with 2017 Bucher Vineyard Pinot Noir
Rosemary Belgium Waffles
Note: you can also use waffle mix
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 each large eggs, separated
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and rosemary.
- In a separate mixing bowl, lightly beat egg yolks. Add milk, butter, and vanilla. Mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter.
- In batches, bake waffles in a preheated waffle iron until golden brown. You’ll need two waffles for this recipe.
- 4 each pork cutlets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 each egg, beaten
- 1 ½ cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- With a meat mallet or some other heavy object, flatten the pork cutlets until they are about 1/4-inch thick.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, paprika, and salt.
- In a second mixing bowl place the beaten egg and put the Panko in a third mixing bowl. Line up the three separate shallow pans next to each other. Have a foil-lined baking sheet or baking dish ready.
- For each pork cutlet, begin by dredging both sides in flour, then dip it in the egg and finally coat in Panko. As you bread the cutlets, place on a baking sheet and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- On medium high heat, heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a heavy bottomed sauté pan. Toss a few crumbs of Panko into the oil—when they sizzle the oil is ready.
- Sauté the pork cutlets for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom, and then flip and repeat. If your pan is small, work in batches rather than overcrowd the pan.
- Remove the pork cutlets to a plate with a paper towel or a rack set over a baking sheet to drain excess oil.
Tomato and Mozzarella Topping
- 1 cup canned plum tomatoes, drained, medium diced
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella, medium dice
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, torn
- 1/2 cup fresh oregano, leaves only
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Mix well.